After a one month hiatus due to a number of reasons (typical of home shop machining), Max and Justin are joined by the King of 16″ South Bend lathes: Tom Utley. But nobody in the hobby calls him that. He is King Tutley. Tom, an engineer by day, is best know in this hobby for his time (over the last 3 years!) and dedication in taking a clapped out second world war 16″ South Bend lathe and returning it to better than new condition. Some of the interesting topics:
- Tom talks about the bench grinders he has been working on that will soon be up for sale. If you are interested in getting a properly restored Baldor bench grinder be sure to get in touch with Tom!
- We talk about paint. Is 2 part epoxies worth the trouble for machine tools?
- Previously a woodworker Tom has moved into the metal side of things. The people are generally more friendly, albeit slightly less normal.
- Why don’t we encourage more to work with their hands? All three of us share our frustrations with a general society that no longer values craft work. Shop work is good for the soul!
- A well documented page on Tom’s journey: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/1943-south-bend-16-x-60-lathe-resurrection-299300/
- Chemical Etching. Tom has done a fantastic job with all the brass name and label plates on his South Bend:
- Photo resist etching. More popular with watchmaking types, Max talks a bit about his journey into photo resist etching:
- Variable Frequency drives. Tom has put a great deal of effort into the VFD controls, enclosure, and wiring has installed on his lathe. It is one of the best executed projects of such nature on the web:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxVLWTiW7E
- Huanyang VFDs: a fine German made product?
- The Guillocheur Video: https://youtu.be/uN-zN8OLh_w
- Of course would the show be a show without mentioning Stefan?
And much more! You can listen to it directly here:
or you can download it directly.
Many many thanks to Tom for coming on the show and sharing some of his story. Tom is very active on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kingtutley/ We also encouraged Tom to more actively tell his story on Youtube. Everyone subscribe to his Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhJT5GO9B0QwUo007XMsGQ
Subscribe in iTunes (and please rate us!): https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/home-shop-machinists-podcast/id1180854521
Max’s website: The Joy of Precision and also his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdMt_havo3BxZJscvRCOGcw Max’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joyofprecision/