Max and Justin invite Dan Sherman on for some general shop talk. We started talking about what is going on in the shop but in true home shop machinist fashion this episode heads off on several slightly off topic tangents. Within this episode:
- Welding and machining, is it a left brain right brain sort of thing?
- Justin gets a Schaublin 102 for the home shop!
- Max trams his mini mill with epoxy. Would this be an episode without mentioning Stefan? Tramming a mill with epoxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Qs-J2swIc
- Max’s pinion mill is coming along: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUKtlsjPRA
- Dan is building camera mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RtZOJ7f2LE
- We all wonder what normal people do with all their time since they don’t fix anything and don’t spend all their free time in the shop. We are really starting to sound like old farts.
- Bench grinder balancing with a cellphone? Dan is interested and Justin has a shameless plug to his blog: https://thecogwheel.net/2016/07/06/bench-grinder-balancing-with-a-smart-phone/
- The Davenport screw machine. Yes, you can still buy one! http://davenportmachine.com/
- Check out the documentary Moon Machines on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTu8nanTJo7GvulBxz9JT9JcXeXimM1Vr) and When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085E40F4/
- We also talk reel mowers, grass cutting, steel, surfers helping with the space program, the SR71 Blackbird, Koenigsegg and probably some stuff in between.
You can listen to the episode directly here:
or you can download it directly.
Special thanks to Dan for joining us. Dan’s website: https://www.dans-hobbies.com/ Be sure to subscribe to Dan’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrnAb5KKg47gsiyfDxo-JJg
Subscribe in iTunes (and please rate us!): https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/home-shop-machinists-podcast/id1180854521
Max’s website: The Joy of Precision and also his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdMt_havo3BxZJscvRCOGcw
Justin’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/thecogwheel