Max and I finally got around to recording our first episode of a brand new podcast! In our first episode:
- What’s happening in our shops (it’s getting cold!)
- High Speed Steel – the Scottish man’s cutting tool of choice, and also most dutchmen
- Quit spreading rumors about HSS bluing!
- Don’t feed the monsters: quit buying those end mills in the wood box
- Max’s tip: Do yourself a huge favor and buy a 3/8 HSS roughing end mill for your mini mill (a good quality one will last a long time!)
- They are not Titanium drill bits!
- Max untwists a drill
- We talk for 1/2 hour longer than we planned. Consider it punishment.
- Mr. Pete’s tool grinding video, part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrDr4rYLiAk
- That really old one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7g8yu2iYhY
L.H. Sparey’s Amateur’s Machinist. On Amazon here.
Here is a picture of the TIN drill Max managed to untwist:
We’ll get better at this, we hope. Please leave us feedback.
For now we are hosting it on my blog. You can listen to the episode directly here:
or download it directly.
Subscribe in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/home-shop-machinists-podcast/id1180854521
Be sure to check out and follow Max on his blog, The Joy of Precision and also his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdMt_havo3BxZJscvRCOGcw
My Youtube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4qMguQuG7N4CFwOP1jyo4A
10 thoughts on “Home Shop Machinists Podcast – Episode 1”
Congrats you site and blog offers great content. Keep it up. Tom
Thanks Tom! We appreciate the support.
great podcast guys, keep it up! judging by the comments (or lack of) I may be the one listener you keep talking about! p.s. can you give us/me a link to the history of HSS you referred to a couple times?
This way Max’s Christmas presents aren’t spoiled :). The HSS history was from various sources, I’ll try to write a blog post and include the links.
I really enjoyed your first episode, and I’m looking forward to future ones!
Thanks so much for the feedback! Max and I are working on the next episode as we speak – the holidays have limited our recording time, and you know we need a lot of recording time!
I really enjoyed your first episode, and I’m looking forward to future installments!
Next episode is coming soon!
I am enjoying the podcasts, guys!
Thanks! We really enjoy doing them.